Monday, March 5, 2018

The "Haunted" Grey Whale Inn and More!

Dear Friends,

I wrote about our visit to San Francisco on New Year's Eve, in the blog about the "Haunted" Queen Anne. (Read) A few days later, Lesli and I packed our bags again and travelled to the coast of Northern California; our destination was Fort Bragg. Please enjoy our journey.
Photo by Kati - Raider at
Boonville General Store

Our Second Adventure: My wife had gifted us a two night stay in Fort Bragg's haunted "Grey Whale Inn". We set out on a drizzly day, January 3rd, with excitement. I had never travelled this far north in California; therefore, it became a true adventure. We chose to take the CA 128 West from Cloverdale, to the Coastal Hwy 1, and then head north. The drive to reach our destination took just under two hours. Along the way we found ourselves travelling through small towns such as Yorkville, Boonville and Navarro, which are nestled in Anderson Valley where spooky leafless oak trees stand on the hillsides. Once closer to the coastline, we drove through a forest of giant redwoods (Navarro River Redwoods State Park), standing thick and tall, along with fir and hemlock trees lining the highway. The aroma of the area was fabulous!

We arrived in Fort Bragg and stopped for a sandwich at the local Safeway, before heading to the Grey Whale Inn. The weather was cloudy and wet, and we could smell the salt of the ocean in the air.
From the moment we stepped through the front door, I could feel the energy of the building rush towards me, and I knew we were in for a treat.
Photo by Kati - Grey Whale Inn, our balcony at top left,
view from Fir Street.(Jan.03/2018)
The woman at the reception desk was welcoming and warm. She walked us through the Inn, showing us several rooms and areas of interest before heading up the stairs and ramps to the top of the building. There are two suites on the third floor. The Sunrise Room (photo above-windows on right side) and the Sunset Room (photo above-our balcony on left side). Our stay for the next two days, the Sunset, had a view looking south and west, with an outdoor balcony, a full bathroomaccess to Wifi, and plenty of space. It was heavenly!
Photo by Kati - Sunset Room (Jan.03/2018)
Photo by Kati - Sunset Room view west (Jan.03/2018)
On a side note, there was no television, which we didn't mind; and the decor is simple, dated, yet refreshing. I loved it!

We were advised of a games room in the basement, a coffee nook area behind reception on the main floor (first one awake is to push the button on the coffee maker each morning), and given permission to roam and explore. I must add, during our two day stay, we did not encounter other guests, although we could hear the family on the 2nd floor when we passed the area. Lesli and I noticed the wide hallways and doors to each room. The ramps went from the 2nd to 3rd floor, and certainly gave us a work out. There is no elevator in the building.
The Inn felt peaceful; however, the basement had an entirely different feeling to it. Not that it was negative, but one could feel a shift in atmosphere, telling us something was "alive". We explained to our host that we were interested in the "spirits" and history of the building. She was more than happy to explain what she knew about it.

After moving into our room, I took to wandering around and snapped some photos. Outside, in the back, I encountered several deer roaming through the yard. It was a moment of pure joy. I love wildlife! Enjoy some of the photos I took to share with you:
Photo by Kati - ramps from 2nd to 3rd floor (Jan.03/2018)
Photo by Kati - back of building, deer (Jan.03/2018)
Photo by Kati - front of building on N. Main St. (Jan.03/2018)
Photo by Kati - lovely plants in the garden (Jan.03/2018)
Photo by Kati - back of Grey Whale Inn (Jan.03/2018)
Photo by Kati - Sitting Room on Main Flr (Jan.03/2018)

Photo by Kati - on 2nd floor (Jan.03/2018)
Photo by Kati - on 2nd floor, wide white doors to room (Jan.03/2018)
Photo by Kati - view southwest from balcony (Jan.03/2018)
The history of the Grey Whale Inn begins in 1915, when Dr. F. McLean Campbell convinced the Union Lumber Company to kick in funds to build the hospital. However, a Fort Bragg Hospital was standing long before the Grey Whale Inn began. I'll explain further on.

The Northern Pomo (Native Americans) were the first inhabitants of the coastal area. They were hunter-gatherers who lived along the northern coast of California. By 1856, the Bureau of Indian Affairs had established the Mendocino Indian Reservation at Noyo. The following summer, a military post was established on Reservation lands 1 mile north of the Noyo River, and was named after Captain Braxton Bragg (was a former commanding officer of First Lieutenant Horatio G Gibson, who served at the Presidio in San Francisco, and established the post) as Fort Bragg. The purpose of the Fort was to maintain order on the reservation. In 1864, the garrison evacuated and abandoned the Fort. By March 1868, the Mendocino Indian Reservation was discontinued, and the area was opened up for settlement. By 1869, lumber mills moved in and ranches were settled; and in 1893, the Fort Bragg Redwood Company was renamed as the Union Lumber Company which absorbed smaller companies of the area. In 1889, Fort Bragg was incorporated. A rail had been established in 1885, by the California Western Railroad, and ran along the Pudding Creek Estuary (north end of Fort Bragg). It was affectionately known as the Skunk Train.
Courtesy - 1906 Main St, Fort Bragg after the earthquake
In 1906, the great earthquake threatened the entire city with a fire. Many buildings were destroyed or had major damage; with some blocks burned to a crisp, buildings shifted of their foundations, and homes knocked off their piers. A year later, the city had been reconstructed, causing a boom in the lumber industry (lumber also went to help rebuild San Francisco). Rail lines to Willits were completed by 1912, bringing tourists into the area; and by 1916, Fort Bragg was a popular destination spot. In 1969, the Union Lumber Company was bought out; and by 1973, it was renamed the Georgia Pacific.
Fort Bragg, with a population of just over 7200 (2016 Census), has thrived on commercial fishing; and is recognized as a historical landmark, making it a fantastic tourist destination.

I contacted the Fort Bragg - Mendocino Coast Historical Society for more information about the history of Fort Bragg hospitals. They were quick to respond and provided me with photos and information. I suggest you visit the Historical Society if you're in the area exploring.

1890 - Believed to be the first hospital, discovered in an 1890, Sanborn map; a 2 storey building marked as "vacant hospital" is found. More research is being done for further information.

1894-1897 - Dr. Higgins Hospital - purchasing land from the Union Lumber Co. in 1893, a 2 storey building was created by Mr. Betz (local brick mason) for Dr. Charles P Higgins.
Courtesy Fort Bragg-Mendocino Coast Historical Society (Dr.Higgins Hospital building)
1897-1914 - Fort Bragg Hospital & Drug Co. - Dr. McCornack opened the hospital on April 14, 1897, on the 2nd floor. The main floor housed Dr. Lendrum's office and H.R. Baum's pharmacy. Dr. Lendrum became sole owner of the hospital in 1906, after purchasing half interest in 1903. The following year H.R. Baum moved to the Weller building, and in 1910, Dr. Purlenky purchased the hospital. Dr. Lendrum left to study in Scotland. In 1914, Dr. F McLean Campbell purchase the hospital from Purlenky, but closed it in 1915, when a new hospital was erected 2 blocks north.
Courtesy Fort Bragg-Mendocino Coast Historical Society

Courtesy - Ukiah Dispatch Democrat (Mar.09/1906) pg03
Courtesy - Ukiah Republican Press (Jan.27/1910) pg01
Courtesy - Ukiah Dispatch Democrat (Jul.03/1914) pg03
1915-1971 - Fort Bragg Hospital Inc. / Redwood Coast Hospital - Dr. McLean Campbell became the 1st Surgeon in Charge (owning 97 shares) in the new hospital (Grey Whale Inn building), with the directors being B.E. Pemberton, Robert D Swales, and John E Weller (each owning 1 share). The Fort Bragg Hospital Inc. officially opened on October 27, 1915. Fred J Maurer was contractor of the building.
Courtesy - San Fran Chronicle (May23/1915) pg56
Courtesy - Ukiah Dispatch Democrat (Jun.04/1915) pg04
Courtesy Fort Bragg-Mendocino Coast Historical Society (1915)
1923, when Dr. Campbell left for San Francisco, Dr. Paul J Bowman took over the Chief Surgeon position, reorganized the hospital. It was then renamed to Redwood Coast Hospital. Dr. Bowman remained until 1965 serving as President, General Manager and Chief Surgeon, and was known as a man who enjoyed the practice, knew his patients by first name, and later retired from practice in 1970.
1927, the Redwood Coast Hospital received recognition for one of the only 2 hospitals with less than 50 beds. It was on the approved list of American College of Surgeons.
1938, an expansion was added to the north side of the building.
1939, remodeling was completed to parts of the older building and added facilities into the new addition. The newspaper excerpt below describes the changes & additions made.
Courtesy - Ukiah Republican Press (May10/1939) pg08

Courtesy - Ukiah Republican Press (Feb.06/1946) pg08
Courtesy - Online Archive of California, B-9288 - Redwood Coast Hospital (1957)
1964, the Redwood Coast Hospital Clinic was opened across Fir Street.
1966, Dr. Hamlin purchased the hospital from Dr. Bowman, and co-owned it with Dr. Kolberg and Rudy Anderson. The building was covered with the present redwood siding, and finished with gray stain (removed years later).
1971, brought the closure of the hospital. A new and modern hospital had been opened, which is still in use today.

1942-1971 - Community Hospital - Dr. Gordon Havstad built and opened this hospital on Franklin Street. It helped relieve the burden of needed attention and hospitalization for the area. Dr. Walter Hadlow took over ownership in the 1960s when Havstad moved away. It closed when the new hospital opened.
Courtesy Fort Bragg-Mendocino Coast Historical Society
Created w/Google Maps & Research - by Kati / Hospitals Map

For 56 years, the Fort Bragg / Redwood Coast Hospital had a rich life in the community, serving with distinction, and recognized for its achievements.
Courtesy Fort Bragg-Mendocino Coast Historical Society (1915)

After 1971, we found some listings in the newspapers that explain what happened to the hospital building (Grey Whale Inn) once it was closed:
1973 - sold to Randall and Naomi Pettit. The article below states the Pettit's would ask the community what was needed before deciding what to do with the building. Reports indicate they turned it into a "rooming house" complex.
Courtesy - Press Democrat (Aug.19/1973) pg43 - Sold!
1978 - purchased by Colette and John Bailey. They inject the Inn with some love, full meals, and host a number of events/fundraisers throughout their years as owners.
Courtesy - Ukiah Daily Journal (Aug.20/1981)

See the below excerpt from the Press Democrat of Santa Rosa, where Colette Bailey explains about a ghost sighting:
Courtesy - Press Democrat (Jun.30/1985)
pg32, Owner talks about "ghosts"
2000 - I could not find the exact date, but sometime in the year 2000, a new owner took over, Mike Dawson. He created a garden on the south east side of the building and prided himself with growing herbs and produce used to create the breakfast meals for guests. It drew bees, butterflies and other pollinators, which made it a delightful spot to relax and enjoy.
See below an excerpt of a 2016 article about "haunted places" in the area:
Courtesy - Sonoma West Times & News
(Oct.27/2016) pg09
2017 - new owners purchased the Inn. Living Light. According to an employee we bumped into on our first night, the Inn had been "smudged". What that meant, we were not sure. She did confirm that several children had seen a "lady in white" wandering the garden on the south side of the building.

Photo by Kati -
Northwest Taproom
Our first night at the Grey Whale Inn was all about discovery. After a lovely meal at the Northwest Brewing Co. Taproom Restaurant and Bar (not far from the Inn - we recommend this place!); we travelled throughout the floors, looked in on open doors, made ourselves familiar and then settled in on the basement level. A TV/Games room welcomed us. There was a small electric organ, a pool table, a shelf full of books and movies, and several comfy lounge chairs for relaxation. A hallway of 3 smaller rooms and one larger, led us east in the building's basement. Although the rooms were filled with old furniture and supplies, we understood they had been used for various purposes during it's life as a hospital. The hallway led us to a larger room on the east side of the building, which opened up to another room with a fireplace, couches, and wall units. It felt like a lounging area. The energy shifted. I felt someone was watching and following us. It wasn't necessarily dark, but it was interesting. We played pool for a while in the games room, and sat in different areas of the basement, all the while recording our visit. In the wee hours of the morning, we made the decision to retire, and headed upstairs to the top of the Inn, to the comfort of our room.

From information provided by the historical society, we note in 1915, the basement housed a concrete boiler room, a steam laundry with power machinery, X-Ray room, a kitchen, staff and hospital dining rooms, a Hydro Therapeutic bath room, and Porter's room and lockers. This may have changed over the years, as we heard whisperings of a morgue and waiting room may have housed the floor. I couldn't find documentation to support this rumour. The games room, three smaller rooms and a larger one are situated in the addition from the expansion of the building in 1938. 

Please enjoy a few photos of the basement taken that evening, with our Ultraviolet Sports Cam, making it a useful tool for night time investigations:

Photo by Kati - ramp leading down to Basement
Photo by Kati - Lounge area with fireplace (east side of Inn)
Photo by Kati - Games Room (north west side of Inn)
Photo by Kati - Small Hallway btwn Games Room & north east side of Inn

The following day, January 4th, I woke early and walked down to the main floor kitchen, behind reception. I turned on the coffee maker and had a look around.
Photo by Kati - kitchen area of main floor (Jan.04/2018)
The kitchen is a cozy area, with a fireplace and view of N. Main Street. Light filled the space, and I felt how comfortable it would be to serve breakfast here. It was a room in which I felt the most joy. Perhaps it was the sun streaming in through the lovely windows that gave off the sense of peace, or it was the comfort of a new day beginning. Either way, I felt great pleasure wrapping around me like a soft blanket.

I knew this day would be one of new discovery and experience. There were several spots we planned to visit. First there was a "haunted" bridge we wanted to find. Lesli had read about a possible hanging of a man near a bridge that was created for the logging industry. I had researched this story and found a completely different understanding of what had happened. Mind you, it was difficult locating access to a logging road which would lead us to our destination, but we had luck on our side!

Noyo River A&W Logging Road Bridge - in September 2001, a 39 year old ex-marine man was brutally murdered by 3 young men near the bridge. His body was found more than three weeks later, pinioned to a tree, just off the gravel road, close to the river. It was revealed through the interviews and trials of the men, that a plan had been made to carjack and rob the victim of $200 and his camera gear. The victim, Donald Perez, was hit over the head with a rock, dragged off the bridge, down the road and into the brush, then duct-taped to a tree with his arms overhead, and stabbed in the neck; thus left to die.

Different reports of hauntings in this area are found on the Internet. One described a figure on the bridge at night, while another indicated dogs were afraid to go into the area; but most stated feelings of unease, anger and fear were prominent.
Photo by Kati - Logging Road Bridge (Jan.04/2018)
Once we located a path to the logging road, we walked in silence. When we arrived at the bridge our senses kicked into high gear. I could feel anxiety on the southeast side of the bridge, and looked into the thick brush. Was this where the victim of the horrific crime was found? Although our recorders didn't capture voices or sounds of anything out of the ordinary; a flock of birds was circling above us during our visit, as if to keep a watchful eye on us. It was quiet in this remote area, not far from Fort Bragg. The river water was motionless, causing an eerie feeling. On occasion, a truck would travel through and the driver would wave at us.
Photo by Kati - looking east off the Logging Road Bridge (Jan.04/2018)
Courtesy - Los Angeles Times (Oct.09/2001) pg 139
Courtesy - Ukiah Daily Journal (Oct.26/2002) pg01
Courtesy - Ukiah Daily Journal (Oct.26/2002) pg14
We sat on the bridge for a long while, alert to our surroundings. Finally, after more than an hour, we decided to head back to our car. The walk was beautiful, with wild flowers and berried bushes growing on the sides of the gravel road; when we came upon a salamander. I believe it was some sort of a sign from animal spirit. You take what you want from it.

Photo by Kati - Salamander

 In a small handbook I carry, the message of the Salamander states "You're about to receive help from an unexpected source with respect to the dilemma you're facing." Was this meant for Donald, or for us? Never-the-less, we left the area feeling the weight of what had happened to the defenseless young man just over a decade ago. I said a silent prayer for him.

Photo by Kati - A&W Logging Road scenery (Jan.04/2018)

The weather was changing, with dark clouds moving in. Our next stop would be Glass Beach. Although this area is not known to be haunted, it would be a place to regroup ourselves, understand that life is what we make of it; and realize that sometimes it can be turbulent, but also beautiful. It began to rain as we parked our vehicle and made our way down to the beach. We didn't care. We could always take a hot shower at the Inn later, and have hot soup to warm ourselves.
Photo by Kati - Glass Beach

Glass Beach (MacKerricher State Park) - once a dump site (1949-1967) where the community would discard glass, appliances and vehicles. Several cleanup programs began (1967 & 1998), and although metals had been removed, the roughness of the ocean waves wore down the glass and pottery items. Over the years they turned into small, smooth, colourful pieces. The property was sold to the state and MacKerricher State Park was incorporated in 2002. This wonderful park is a big tourist draw for the area. We recommend you visit it, enjoy the scenery, the incredible wildlife, and take a walk along the beach. Even though the weather was wet and windy, the park was busy with people enjoying walks along the paths and on the beach. It truly is a remarkable place to experience and explore.
Photo by Kati - Glass Beach (Jan.04/2018)

Back to the Grey Whale Inn - After our visit to the beach, we drove to a local restaurant and ordered take out. Once at the Inn, we dried ourselves off, changed our clothes, and ate our soup and sandwich; sharing thoughts about the day's adventure.
The cold I had caught over the holidays was weighing on me, so I lay down for a short nap while Lesli kept busy checking in online. After darkness fell and the evening hours arrived, we decided to visit the basement of the Inn one last time. We gathered our tools, walked down the ramps and staircases, and settled into the lounge area. It had comfortable leather sofas, a big soft chair, with a fireplace at the north end, and a wall unit at the south end.

Our visit to the basement went into the late hours. We could hear the raindrops falling, and creaks and groans of the building as it settled for the night. We found unusual EMF (electromagnetic field) readings, and made a note on our recordings. There was a point when I was sure someone was moving along the small hallway (which led to the games room), so I got up from my place on a leather sofa, and walked to the spot. I stood in silence and allowed the space to speak to my senses. I couldn't shake the feeling that someone was standing behind me, watching. When I'd turn around to confront it, again I felt like "he" was at my back. Yes, I indicated "he", as I felt a man's presence. Lesli (sitting in the fireplace room) was asking questions addressed to the "spirits". I could hear her voice clearly (we were not far from one another), but I felt that we weren't alone. When I returned to the comfy sofa, Lesli remarked that she felt someone had taken my spot after I left. She had asked out loud for whomever was there, to come sit down and explain who they were. Shivers ran up our spines. Lesli confirmed she also felt someone was present, just outside of her personal space to determine who it may be. I'm sure you've been in a situation where you just KNOW someone is standing there and watching. That's exactly how we both felt. The entire basement gave off a "you are not alone" feeling.
I have to emphasize, this presence was not "evil" or malicious. Often people believe what they cannot explain is of the dark side. This certainly was not, we just couldn't explain who it was.

Finally I had to say goodnight to the "spirits" of the Inn's basement and retreat to the comforts of our bed. The cold had gotten the best of me. I was coughing and blowing my nose too frequently, and didn't want to spoil our recordings. Lesli stayed downstairs a while longer, attempting to capture more evidence.

Photo by Kati - view out bathroom window
The next morning I woke early. Once again I went to the lovely kitchen on the main floor and started the coffee machine. With a fresh cup in my hand I decided to sit outside at the back of the Inn and write in my journal. While I was there I saw a little creature (perhaps a gofer) familiar with the area, racing around the garden path, stopping now and then to see if anyone had spotted him. I kept still and quiet.
It was time to pack our bags and head out. We said our goodbyes to the lovely lady at reception, and thanked her for our wonderful time at the Inn. Our next stop was at the local Starbucks for a large coffee and lemon scone. Then a quick jaunt across the highway to the west, where a pioneer cemetery lay waiting for us to discover.

On our drive, Lesli asked if I had gotten up in the night to go out on the balcony. I told her "no", and asked why she thought I had. She explained that sometime in the wee hours she heard footsteps and the opening of our balcony door. She went on with her account, to disclose she heard sounds of movement outside and a door closing. She truly thought it had been me, but as the room was in darkness, she could not see anyone. I have to explain; being on the oceanfront, when the sun sets, our room fell into pitch-black. Vision is limited without a light to help. Unfortunately we did not have a recorder running to capture this experience.
From information gathered about the former hospital, it described the solarium (top floor where we stayed) had been divided into a women's sun room and men's smoking room, with a large open air porch. As I understand it, our room was part of the women's sun room. Who visited our room that night? Was it a former nurse, patient, doctor? We may never know.

Noyo Point Cemetery - also known as the Noyo River Cemetery or Mariners Cemetery, establish approximately 1860. Sitting on top of the northern bluff at the mouth of the Noyo River (south side of Fort Bragg), and surrounded by a white picket fence, only three grave markers are left standing.
Photo by Kati - Noyo River Cemetery (Jan.05/2018)
A sign nearby advised us the cemetery had been used by the Fort Bragg army post, and thought to be the last resting spot for sailors and fishermen lost at sea, and victims of logging and sawmill accidents. It is also thought to be the burial place of Alexander MacPherson, original owner of the Noyo Mill (built illegally on Mendocino Indian Reservation). He passed on in 1880 after falling off a horse and being paralyzed for 1 1/2 years. The whereabouts of his grave is unknown.
It was a peaceful scenic area with a fantastic view of the river and the ocean. We enjoyed walking around, and then sat on a park bench to enjoy the view and eat our scones.

Back on the road again, heading south on the Coastal Hwy, we decided to visit several cemeteries I had marked on a map.

Photo by Kati - Caspar
Cemetery sign (Jan.05/2018)
Caspar Cemetery - a short drive south along the Coastal Hwy, just east of Caspar, California. This cemetery was fun to locate. We found it by chance! Along a windy road which led back toward the ocean, in midst of tall trees and wild brush, we found an acre of land open up in front of us. Surrounded by an aging wooden fence, with a narrow view of the ocean through the thick forest, the cemetery was welcoming and peaceful.
The age of the cemetery is unknown (the town of Caspar was settled in 1857), but as we wandered through it, respectfully, we noticed markers dated to the early 1860's. Some gravestones had brush growing between them, thus toppling a few. Some markers appeared to be glued back together, then stood up with pride; while others were irreparable with the broken slabs thrust into the ground. The cemetery is well taken care of by the District, and still in use.
Photo by Kati - Caspar Cemetery (Jan.05/2018)
After a walk through, acknowledgement of the pioneers, and a thank you for allowing us to visit, we were back on the Coast Hwy driving south.

Little River Cemetery - situated on the west side of the Coastal Hwy at the junction of Little River-Airport Road. The town was settled around 1856, and was first known as Bell's Harbor (after Lloyd and Samuel Bell - first settlers) and Kent's Landing.
Photo by Kati - Little River Cemetery (Jan.05/2018)
Photo by Kati - Little River Cemetery (Jan.05/2018)
The cemetery, as it sits on the side of the highway, is surrounded by tall trees and brush, with a view of the ocean below the bluff. With the rush of vehicles driving by, it was not easy to hone in on the energies; however, it did feel peaceful and made for a nice stop to just wander, take in the names and dates of those who walked before us, and enjoy its beauty. It was larger than Caspar, spreading out wide, and took awhile to wander through the rows and sections, acknowledging each grave. Like Caspar, the interred were pioneers, children, and people of different backgrounds, religions and occupations, and is in use today.
Photo by Kati - Little River Cemetery (Jan.05/2018)

Photo by Kati - East on 128 Hwy
Back on the road, we headed east on CA 128 Hwy towards Cloverdale. This stretch is a beautiful drive. Passing through small towns, enjoying the scenery of the Anderson Valley, we decided to stop at a small cemetery.

Yorkville Cemetery - the original town was settled in 1868; however in 1937 it moved 3 miles to it's present site. The town's founder, Richard H York is buried here. He died at the age of 59 on January 27, 1888. Although young of age at his death, Richard led an interesting life. Born in Tennessee in 1830, raised as a farmer, he travelled to Missouri until 1854; when he migrated to California with oxen team, mined for a year, farmed for nine years, and eventually travelled to the Yorkville area in 1865. He raised five children on his 700 acre land, and was engaged in farming, stock-raising and wool-growing.
Photo by Kati - Yorkville's founder (Jan.05/2018)
The cemetery sits on a small hill, surrounded by a vineyard. Across the highway, down the hill, is a cow pasture. Oak trees, brush and wild mushrooms grow in this cemetery; and as we walked around acknowledging the interred, dried leaves crunched under our feet. It felt serene here.

Photo by Kati - Yorkville Cemetery (Jan.05/2018)
Photo by Kati - Yorkville Cemetery (Jan.05/2018)
Photo by Kati - Across 128 Highway from Cemetery (Jan.05/2018)

Photo by Kati -
We were on our final leg home. It was getting late, and we were hungry. Once we merged onto the CA 101 Hwy south, we made a decision to eat at a favourite burger joint, the Healdsburger & Pick's Drive-In at 48 Healdsburg Ave, Healdsburg. Yum! We certainly recommend this place if you are visiting the area. The shakes (a favourite of mine) are thick with chunks of whatever flavour you choose. I had blueberry. Oh my gosh, I just could not get enough! Yes, they serve a garden burger for vegetarians, and turkey/chicken burgers for those who don't eat red-meat. The garlic fries.. all I can say is "Go and try them!".

Here we end our adventure. It was truly an eye-opening and exciting experience. We hope you enjoyed reading about our trip. If you've ever visited the places we did, had experiences of your own and would like to share them, please email us via our Website, or share on our Facebook Page. We'd love to hear about it! If not, and you're thinking about visiting, put it on your map for future travels. It's worth the visit!

Note: any evidence gathered at the Grey Whale Inn will be shared on our website shortly.

Until next time,
Happy Hauntings,

Sources:;; Fort Bragg-Mendocino Coast Historical Society;; wikipedia;;;;;; Online Archive of California;;; "Pocket Guide to Spirit Animals" - Dr. Steven Farmer;;;; and various haunted places websites. 
Note: Photos by Kati are the property of Kati Ackermann Webb and Vancouver Spooks Paranormal Investigations (VSPI) and may not be used or copied without written permission.

No comments:

Post a Comment